Now that comfort food season is officially over, I’ve decided to dedicate the entire month of May to detox and cleanse my body using unprocessed, whole plant foods. Summer is right around the corner, so it’s the perfect time to eat healthier, train harder, and get leaner. Since any fitness regimen is 80% diet, it’s important to eat more of the “right” foods (whole fruits and vegetables) and less of the “wrong” foods (simple carbohydrates, processed/refined sugars and flours, etc). Cutting out sugar is going to be a tough one for me but as long as I have fresh fruits around all the time, I think I’ll be okay dealing with the sugar cravings. Vegan smoothies that are full of flavour and nutrients like this blueberry lavender smoothie seem to help curb sweet cravings and make you feel good in return!
I wanted to kick off this spring-summer season with this fabulous smoothie recipe sent to me by my lovely step-sister and best friend, Alexa. Lex is a passionate environmentalist, peaceful yogi, and budding herbalist, and she approves this smoothie. So, trust me when I say that this magical elixir is full of incredible stuff for your body.
First, let’s start with the healthy fats in this smoothie: avocado and coconut milk.
- Avocado is loaded with fibre and contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid). Oleic acid has been linked to reduced inflammation and been shown to have beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer.
- Coconut milk contains a very beneficial fat called lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid that’s easily absorbed and used by the body for energy. Coconuts’ fatty acids can help you lower cholesterol levels, improve blood pressure, and prevent heart attacks or a stroke. Coconut milk also improves digestion and manages blood sugar levels.
NOTE: Healthy fats can actually help you lose fat AND build muscle, just FYI.
Next, the endless benefits of blueberries, banana, and spinach:
- This detox smoothie is also bursting with antioxidants from blueberries, which are low in calories but HIGH in nutrients. Blueberries are packed with fibre, vitamins C and K, and their high antioxidant content protects our bodies from free radical damage.
- Bananas are always good to throw into a smoothie because they are full of natural sugars and can sweeten up any drink to make it taste delicious. Plus, they’re loaded with essential vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin, and B6.
- The spinach in this smoothie is virtually flavourless, but packs a nutritional punch. Spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. In other words, it’s loaded with good things for every part of your body!
Last but not least, the very minimal amount of lavender in this smoothie surprisingly brings the whole thing together. Lavender is naturally soothing and calming, so this smoothie is a perfect way to wind down in the evening or start your day relaxed and ready in the morning. The dried lavender in this recipe gives off a fresh and floral taste.
Bonus: Because this smoothie contains just the right amount of healthy fats, it will keep you full for a long time. Pair with a power salad for a well-balanced lunch or dinner, and feel great afterwards too. 🙂 Enjoy!
Vegan Blueberry Lavender Detox SmoothiePrint This
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 handful of spinach
1 tsp. lavender (fresh or dry)
1 cup organic coconut milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ cup of ice
1-2 tbsp. water or plant milk to thin out if necessary
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in a splash of water/plant milk to thin out if necessary.
- Pour into glasses, sip, and enjoy. You’re doing your body good! 🙂
Ahhh I love lavender!!! This smoothie sounds so fresh and looks so vibrant. Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂
Thank you Kirsten! I love lavender too — it’s so soothing and relaxing. Glad you enjoyed the recipe <3
Great recipe i can add this to my Keto meal plan diet.