Swap your morning coffee or tea for golden milk and your body will thank you this winter.
What is this yellow-orange concoction, you may ask?
The turmeric tea latte, or “golden milk” as some people call it, consists of hot plant-based milk mixed with turmeric powder and other spices, like ginger or cinnamon.
The healing benefits of turmeric in this tea include:
- curcumin: the antioxidant that gives turmeric its golden hue
- the prevention of cancer cell growth
- powerful anti-inflammatory properties
- a high antioxidant and anti-bacterial content (which protects the body during cold and flu season)
This recipe also contains cinnamon, which:
- regulates your blood sugar
- has potent antioxidant properties
- helps to promote healthy weight loss or appetite control
When mixed well, the flavour of this tea is similar to a chai latte. I have to admit that although I’d rather have an earl grey tea latte when it comes to hot drinks, the benefits of this turmeric latte outweigh the overall taste of it. Plus, you can experiment with the amount of turmeric you use, add more cinnamon and maple syrup to cut the taste and make it more sweet, or even add pumpkin spices to make this latte more enjoyable.
Here’s to optimal health this winter – I’ll drink to that!
Vegan Golden Milk - Turmeric LattePrint This
1-1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp – 1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (or less; to taste)
Dash of black pepper (to rapidly increase absorption of turmeric’s healing properties)
1 tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup (to taste)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- If you have a milk frother, steam almond milk with turmeric powder together and pour into a mug with other latte ingredients, mixing well as you pour.
- If you don’t have a milk steamer or any fancy latte equipment, you can just heat almond milk with the latte ingredients over the stove until it comes to a boil. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes and pour into a mug, adding desired sweetener.
Gorgeous photos! I am a huge fan of turmeric. Used your recipe and loved it. Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it! 🙂