Now that the holidays are coming along, you’ve probably had your fair share of Christmas parties. And most people know that Christmas parties mean endless amounts of food, wine, and all that good stuff. Although it’s perfectly fine to eat, drink, and be merry, most people feel a lot heavier over the holidays, which can contribute to excess weight gain. If you’re concerned about overindulging this year, I find that the trick is to find yourself a balance between comfort foods and healthy foods. Your body naturally desires this kind of balance. For example, sometimes after a few days of “bad eating,” I find myself craving a detox smoothie or a fresh salad. It’s uncommon for me to eat salads in the wintertime, but a raw bowl of veggies alongside a warmer dish always seems to do the trick!
That’s where this gorgeous salad comes in. Known as the ultimate detox green, arugula is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The benefits of arugula are numerous:
- Boots the immune system
- Improves eyesight (rich in vitamin A)
- Aids in weight management
- Strengthens bone and teeth health
- Reduces risk of heart disease and premature aging
- Promotes energy production and fat synthesis
- Increases mineral absorption (like copper and iron)
- May even prevent cancer (phytochemicals inhibit cancer cells)
Not only is arugula insanely good for you, it’s also incredibly tasty. I love the somewhat spiciness of fresh arugula, and I find that it works well with the honey-sweet persimmon, tart pomegranate, and lemon-balsamic dressing in this salad. Added with the benefits of pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds which are high in protein, this salad is jam-packed with nutrients. The savoury taste of raw pecans also add a nice crunch to the recipe, but you can swap the pecans for walnuts or another nut if you prefer. 🙂
Make this salad over the holidays and impress all your guests with its gorgeous presentation. Or if you’re just feeling run-down and heavy from holiday food, you can quickly whip this up for lunch or alongside your dinner. Enjoy!
Winter Persimmon Arugula Salad with PomegranatePrint This
2-3 cups fresh arugula
1 persimmon, sliced (and peeled if desired)
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp. hemp seeds
For the dressing:
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. agave nectar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Dash of salt + pepper
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl and toss with dressing ingredients.
- Add in chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate. Mix well.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with sliced persimmon, sprinkling hemp seeds on top.
Never tried persimmon before. Definitely curious to try now! It looks so beautiful.
Thanks Karen! It really is fabulous 😀
Wow! What a beautiful salad. Can’t wait to make this for my girlfriends this weekend 🙂 Looks tasty,